Here are free tools from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) to get started:
- A list of 16 books for children ages 4 to 10, including two in Spanish
- Quick Parent Guides for each book, containing reading tips along with questions and activities for children
- Implementation Guide for libraries and community organizations, with Ice breakers for book club meetings, and suggestions for bringing together parents as a group to reinforce the money lessons and share ideas
The Parent Guides and Implementation Guides can be ordered free of charge from the Government Printing Office’s secure ordering site.
Ready to start a book club at your library? Just follow these steps:
- Download the Program Facilitator's Implementation Guide
- Make a display of books that are on the Money as You Grow reading list.
- Order free copies of the Money as You Grow Parent Guides (please allow 3 to 4 weeks for delivery)
- Schedule your first book club!
- Send your feedback to FinancialEducation@cfpb.gov
You can order free printed copies of the discussion guides in bulk at from the Government Printing Office’s secure ordering site.
Here's a list of the book titles, for which CFPB offers a free downloadable discussion guide for each:
|Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday||4 and up||Prioritizing, saving|
|A Bargain for Frances||6 and up||Setting goals, staying true to yourself|
|The Berenstain Bears & Mama’s New Job||4 and up||Setting goals, staying true to yourself|
|The Berenstain Bears’ Trouble with Money||4 and up||Making decisions, spending|
|A Chair for My Mother||6 and up||Setting goals, earning|
|Count on Pablo||5 to 7||Solving problems, earning|
|Curious George Saves His Pennies||4 to 7||Making decisions, sharing and borrowing|
|Just Shopping with Mom||4 and up||Prioritizing, spending|
|Lemonade in Winter||3 to 7||Solving problems, spending|
|My Rows and Piles of Coins||4 to 7||Setting goals, saving|
|Ox-Cart Man||4 and up||Earning, setting goals|
|The Purse||4 and up||Solving problems, setting goals|
|The Rag Coat||6 to 9||Solving problems, sharing and borrowing|
|Sheep in a Shop||4 and up||Making decisions, solving problems|
|Those Shoes||5 to 8||Prioritizing, sharing and borrowing|
|Tia Isa Wants a Car||4 to 8||Solving problems, saving|
• Money as You Grow book club (CFPB)
• Money as You Grow Book Club: How to Help Families Build Their Children’s Money Skills (WebJunction)
• Money Smart Week, a national initiative between the ALA and the Federal Reserve Bank
Image credit: Money as You Grow poster free download from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)