Star Wars Reads Day
October 11, 2014 (schools and school libraries are encouraged to hold their events on Friday, October 10th)
• Download a free official Star Wars event kit, that includes reproducible activity sheets and trivia; it's available as a printable PDF in color and black and white.
• Sign up for the free newsletter which will put you on the official mailing list, and will keep you in-the-know about exclusive access to giveaways and marketing, promotional, and activity ideas that will help enhance your event.
• Two months beforehand they'll provide you with a downloadable activity kit with trivia, crafts, and event suggestions. The publishers sponsoring the event are also offering free giveaways (while supplies last) to anyone holding a Star Wars Reads Day event.
• Consider holding a costume contest, cosplay event, comic con, or requesting costumed volunteers
Teen Read Week
October 12-18, 2014
• Use these free resources to promote it at your library: activity ideas, publicity toolkit, book & media lists, and planning checklist.
Teen Read Week is a "national adolescent literacy initiative created by the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA). Its purpose is to encourage teens to be regular readers and library users."
National Friends of Libraries Week
October 19-25, 2014
• Get their free PR and Marketing Materials, which includes a sample press release that can be customized for your library and/or Friends group.
It's a great time to promote your Friends group, to raise awareness, and to promote membership. It's also an excellent opportunity for your library and Board of Trustees to recognize the Friends for their help and support of the library.