- serve a population under 10,000 (usually under 5,000)
- be in a rural area (usually considered to be at least 30 miles from a city with a population over 40,000)
- have a limited operating budget, and
- have an active children's department
- Read the grant application instructions
- Follow the link on that page to fill out the application form online; then print, sign, and mail to The Libri Foundation.
Application deadline: May 15, 2012 Libraries in the Winnefox Library System that have been successful Libri grant award winners include:
- Oxford Public Library, early 2012
- Westfield Public Library, 2011
- Montello Public Library received 81 new books at a value of $1413.59 in 2010 Their grant was made possible with help from a donation of $350 from the Friends of the Montello Public Library.
- Brandon Public Library received a grant totaling $1,400 to purchase a selection of preschool - grade 6 books in 2010. Their grant was made possible with help of donations from Thomas L. Reilly (local author), Gloria Newton, Bank of Oakfield, Central Well Drilling, Inc., and Tylor S. Loest.
The Libri Foundation is a nationwide non-profit organization which donates new, quality, hardcover children's books to small, rural public libraries in the United States through its Books For Children program.
The Foundation works with the library's Friends of the Library or other local organizations because we believe in community involvement and want to encourage and reward local support of libraries. The Friends, or other local sponsors, can contribute from $50 to $350 which the Foundation matches on a 2-to-1 ratio. Thus, a library can receive up to $1,050 worth of new, quality, hardcover children's books through the Foundation's Books For Children program. The local librarian, familiar with the needs of the library and the community, selects the books the library will receive from the Foundation's 700-title booklist, which has been highly praised by participating librarians for the quality and variety of fiction and nonfiction titles offered. The majority of books have been published within the last three years, but old favorites are also offered. All of the books have been highly recommended by recognized authorities in the library and education fields.