Apply for a $150 stipend to attend a free workshop to bring NASA discoveries and exploration to your library: Workshop: "Explore: Life on Mars?" Date: April 3-4, 2012 Location: UW Geology Museum, Madison Deadline extended: applications will be accepted through Wednesday, March 7, 2012 Registration form Details During the workshop you will:
- Undertake hands-on activities designed specifically for children and youth ages 8 to 13 in the out-of-classroom learning environment
- Explore strategies and best practices for reaching girls and other underserved audiences
- Brainstorm how to best engage and excite children about science
- Learn about Mars and the possibility of life beyond our home planet from University of Wisconsin astrobiologists and Lunar and Planetary Institute (LPI) scientists
- Have the opportunity to interact directly with these scientists
- Receive science education materials, e.g., activity plans, science presentations, and resources like NASA educational posters, website links, etc.
- Become part of the Explore online community, which has over 600 members
- Network with Wisconsin library colleagues
- Be served breakfast and lunch and lots of chocolate!
This workshop has potential to connect to the Summer Library Program, space-themed programs, and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) initiatives in your community. This workshop is geared toward Wisconsin library (school or public) staff that provide, or plan to provide, programs for 8-13 year-olds. Space is limited to 30 participants and will be conducted on a first-come-first-accepted basis. Attendees are required to make their own lodging and travel arrangements according to individual library policies. Hotel and parking information is available for registered workshop attendees.
We are excited to extend an invitation for you to participate in a free NASA-supported workshop, Explore: Life on Mars?, April 3-4, 2012 at the University of Wisconsin Geology Museum in Madison, WI! The Explore program is designed to help you bring earth and space science to your communities through fun and engaging hands-on activities. Details for this opportunity may be found in the attached invitation. If you are interested in taking part in this exciting opportunity, please follow the directions in the invitation and complete the online registration form by February 22, 2012. Space is limited, and will be restricted to 30 participants that will be selected on a first-come-first-accepted basis from the registrations received, and the first 25 participants accepted will receive a $150 stipend following the workshop. Registrants will be notified by email whether they have been selected or placed on a waiting list within three business days by Explore program staff. Thank you for your consideration. Good luck and we hope to see you in April! Sincerely, Eve Halligan & the Explore! Program Staff Education Department Lunar and Planetary Institute 3600 Bay Area Boulevard Houston, TX 77058-1113 email@example.com