Five libraries are winners of the 2011 John Cotton Dana Library Public Relations Awards, which recognizes and honors outstanding achievement in library public relations. Of the 5 that were honored, here are examples of ideas to consider trying at your library:
- Worthington Libraries (Worthington, Ohio): “Find Yourself Here” rebranding campaign positioned the library as "an information source and inviting destination. Beginning with staff communications guidelines and expanding to service provision, the library was positioned as a place where everyone belongs and is accepted. The net result was a 35-percent increase in online homework usage and a 36-increase in the circulation of downloadable books."
- Anythink Libraries (Adams County, CO): A new customer service philosophy and branding "increased population awareness and use in all areas, including a 42-percent increase in cardholders and 66-percent increase in visitors."
- Edmonton Public Library (Edmonton, Alberta): “Rebranding the Edmonton Public Library,” a new logo and the slogan “Spread the words” were taken by library staff and customers and used in a "guerilla marketing strategy that was impossible to ignore and hard to resist."
- Loudoun County Public Library (Leesburg, VA): “Try Poetry”, a year of building community "through the borderless conversation of poetry." The program developed a long partnership with the public school system, created a unique relationship with the juvenile detention center and offered a variety of captivating presentations to the community.
The John Cotton Dana honor has been awarded continuously since 1946 and is sponsored by the H.W. Wilson Co., the H.W. Wilson Foundation and the Library Leadership and Management Association (LLAMA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA). It is considered the most prestigious of all library awards in the field of public relations. Sources:
- American Library Association: Winners of the 2011 John Cotton Dana Library Public Relations Awards
- The 'M' Word - Marketing Libraries: 2011 John Cotton Dana Library Public Relations Award Winners Announced
- H.W. Wilson: John Cotton Dana Library Public Relations Award — general info, previous winners, and application form