A recent post on the Publib discussion list generated lots of great ideas for promoting membership in your Friends of the Library group. Here are some choice ideas to consider trying at your library:
- Friends-only preview of book sale, with memberships sold at the door.
- Jr. Friends group members (10-12 years old) take part in parades, decorate cookies and ornaments, and have special members-only events such as watching a pop concert video.
- The membership card has x-number of free copies and free coffee, with an expiration date.
- 10% discount at all book sales.
- Volunteers receive a token of appreciation at certain levels of hours of donated time, plus a book plate in the book of their choice recognizing the volunteer hours, as well as a press release listing those who reached a new level for the year.
- At $50 membership level, Friends receive a $5 book sale coupon, and a $10 coupon for those at the $100 level, other levels are being considered.
- Buy one, get one free privilege at the book sale.
- Director takes Friends on a short trip each year -- for example, to a historical location or a large library.
- Imprinted canvas book bag is offered as an incentive to renew membership.
- Friends membership drive: Advertisement in local paper during drive weeks, membership form on bookmarks given to each patron at checkout, printed brochures with membership form, renewal letter sent to current members, membership form on website (to be printed and brought or mailed in).